Hart Muirhead Fatta is a law firm, offering a wide range of services to corporate and individual clients. The firm provides the range of services normally found in larger firms but with the client care, personal service and efficiency in costs offered by boutique firms, thereby offering to our clients the best of both worlds.
The firm was founded in 1990 by its founding partners, Hugh Hart, the late John Muirhead and George Fatta. The firm has since grown substantially with the addition of several partners. The late John Muirhead retired from the partnership in March 2003 and the late George Fatta in June 2008.
While the focus of the firm is primarily on commercial law, members of the firm have several years of commercial litigation experience in Jamaica, the British Virgin Islands and England at first instance and appellate levels. The firm has developed a robust litigation practice, and maintains close relationships with independent leading Counsel to aid in serving its clients in Jamaica and abroad.
In addition, the firm does a great deal of work advising major international law firms on matters of Jamaican law in international transactions involving Jamaican companies or assets. The firm has developed its practice and offers legal advice in a wide variety of areas, including the following:
- Banking laws, merchant banking, investment banking, bank related transactions and regulations
- Commercial lending
- Commercial Litigation
- Company Law
- Computer contracts and information technology
- Corporate reorganisation and restructuring
- Electronic Transactions, Blockchain and Technology Law
- Employment and Labour Law
- Environmental law
- Equipment leasing
- Estate Planning
- Insolvency and Bankruptcy
- Intellectual Property
- International and domestic financing
- Joint Venture formations
- Mergers, acquisitions and divestitures
- Mining law and mining leases
- Mortgage financing
- Mutual funds, investment funds & unit trusts
- Public and private securities offerings
- Real estate development
- Shipping and Maritime Law
- Sports and Entertainment Law
- Structured and project finance
- Technology licensing arrangements
- Tourism, resort, attractions and hotel development
- Venture Capital transactions
As a result of the change in the law under the Trust and Corporate Services Providers Act(“the Act”), Hart Muirhead Fatta has ceased offering any trust and corporate services which require a licence under the Act. However, these services will continue to be provided by. HMF Corporate Services Limited, an affiliate of the Firm. has applied under the Act for a licence, and can accept engagements for any trust and corporate services licensed under the Act, including the incorporation of companies, registration of overseas companies, as well as, registered agent and registered office services and corporate secretarial services.